Good news! My body may be finally stepping in and trying to heal my foot. We are going to postpone the surgery until May 11th, to give it a few more weeks. I’m happy about this for two reasons: there’s the relief that the surgery isn’t tomorrow morning (which makes it feel less real because it is less imminent and there’s a chance I won’t need it at all) and it makes me feel like my body, even though weakened in many regards, may have some inherent healing ability hidden within it after all. I also started to be overcome with nervousness about the general anesthesia required for the procedure. I had no idea that it meant I was not going to be breathing on my own and would have tubes down my throat. In the past 24 hours, I’ve done enough research to convince myself that logically, this is safe and would be uneventful, but emotionally, it still triggers fear.
So, here’s to hoping that my body decides to heal this thing up on its own. While that’s certainly far and above what I’d prefer, I will face whatever outcome we reach on the 11th with as much stoicism and positivity as I can muster.